What is the common form of Greeting in Nepal? How to do it? What does it signify? What are the dos’ and don’ts in Nepali custom?
It is called Namaste or Namaskar. You can say the greeting in words as well as do it using a gesture. Join your palms together and bring them close to your chest and about 5 to 7 inches below your chin. The word Namaste has many meanings such as Hello, How are you ?, I am glad to see you, nice to meet you, good morning, etc.
• Take off your shoes before entering a temple or one’s home
• Ask for permission before entering a temple
• Taking photographs inside the most temples are mostly prohibited
• Ask for permission before taking photographs of objects, and including Nepali people.
• Nepali people are laid back and friendly by nature. Have a genuine interest in them. Talk to them. Be friendly as you travel.
- You must login to post comments